Reflection in Online Courses
Recommended Readings – Timeless classics or out of date?
As you read any of the articles recommended below, try to identify at least one of the following:
- useful suggestion or resource
- something no longer useful for synchronous online sessions
- something you would like clarified on Friday, March 15, 2019
- “Introduction: What is Reflection in Learning?” [pp.7-16] from book:Reflection: Turning experience into learning – [Downloadable PDF of pp1-17] Edited by David Boud, Rosemary Keogh, and David Walker; Published by RoutledgeFalmer, Taylor & Francis Group. First published 1985, reprinted 1987, 1994, transferred to Digital Printing 2005.Copyright© 1985 David Boud, Rosemary Keogh, David Walker and contributors.
- “Reflections on Teaching and Learning Reflection,” [2pp.] Dr. Sue Pieper, Northern Arizona University, e-Learning Center; firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.nau.edu/news/reflections-on-teaching-and-learning-reflection/
- “An Introduction to Academic Practice: Reflection“, [2pp.] Library Guides, Univ. of Lincoln,https://guides.library.lincoln.ac.uk/c.php?g=110741&p=717892
- “Designing for reflection in online courses” [7pp. pp.313-319] , ResearchGate,
by J Herrington & Ron Oliver at Edith Cowan University; January 2002; Cited by 54 – Related articles; Article (PDF Available) · with 335 Reads.
- Educause summary [2pp.] of book: Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning,Peter C. Brown, Henry L. Roediger III, Mark A. McDaniel. Harvard University Press, Cambridge MA 2014.
Summary only: https://er.educause.edu/~/media/files/blogs/2018/6/er183409quickreferencequide.pdf?la=en
- “Cultivating Reflection and Metacognition” [PDFs available for “Metacognition – Cultivating Reflection to Help Students Become Self-Directed Learners” – 8pp. ; and “Supplement 1: Inserting Self-Reflective Comments” – 2pp.] U. Mich, LSA, Sweetland Center for Writing, https://lsa.umich.edu/sweetland/instructors/teaching-resources/cultivating-reflection-and-metacognition.html – Recommended by Saundra McGuire 20190314